[Jack-Devel] [LAU] jackd terminates on its own

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 18:38:03 CEST 2017

(Just forwarding the reply to list now. Sorry if there's html in this mail,
it seems
like gnome terminal has started to copy fonts/colors/as well when copying
to the clipboard
(why?). Hope this doesn't manifest itself as html in the email.)

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:43:33 +0200
Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com> wrote:

(I haven't subscribed to the list yet, so I'm also sending to your
address just in case)

> In my opinion, we should remove the code that automatically starts
> the jack server from a client. It's just messy.

I removed the -T switch.

The current calling is:

/usr/bin/jackd -v --sync -P80 -ndefault -dalsa -dhw:M1010LT -r44100
-p256 -n8

The behaviour without the -T switch has indeed changed although the
problem remains as described.  At one point in loading projects Bitwig
will not be able to enable audio.  Here's the change in behaviour.

These few lines from jackd were taken when Bitwig cannot enable audio.

[...]
Jack: JackRequest::UnRegisterPort
Jack: JackEngine::PortUnRegister ref = 2 port_index = 39
Jack: JackEngine::PortDisconnect ref = -1 src = 39 dst = 65535
Jack: JackGraphManager::DisconnectAllOutput port_index = 39
Jack: JackConnectionManager::RemoveOutputPort ref = 2 port_index = 39
Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
Jack: JackRequest::UnRegisterPort
Jack: JackEngine::PortUnRegister ref = 2 port_index = 40
Jack: JackEngine::PortDisconnect ref = -1 src = 40 dst = 65535
Jack: JackGraphManager::DisconnectAllOutput port_index = 40
Jack: JackConnectionManager::RemoveOutputPort ref = 2 port_index = 40
Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
Jack: JackRequest::Notification
Jack: JackDriver::ClientNotify ref = 1 driver = freewheel name =
freewheel notify = 18 Jack: JackDriver::ClientNotify ref = 1 driver =
freewheel name = freewheel notify = 18 Jack: JackDriver::ClientNotify
ref = 1 driver = freewheel name = freewheel notify = 18 Jack:
JackDriver::ClientNotify ref = 1 driver = freewheel name = freewheel
notify = 18 Jack: JackEngine::ClientNotify: no callback for
notification = 4 Jack: JackEngine::ClientNotify: no callback for
notification = 4 Jack: JackEngine::ClientNotify: no callback for
notification = 4 Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i
= 2 fd = 10 Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1
fd = 9 Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd =
10 Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10 Jack:
JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9 Jack:
JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10 Jack:
JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9 Jack:
JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10 Jack:
JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9 Jack:
JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10

It loops endlessly with the last two lines during which time the
audio is not enabled in the newly loaded Bitwig project.  The
loop frequency is slow, perhaps each 5 seconds.

Curiously, after closing Bitwig jackd will continue looping with
the last line below.

Jack: JackDriver::ClientNotify ref = 2 driver = sys