[Jack-Devel] How does --hwmix work?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu May 4 05:15:35 CEST 2017

On Wed, 03 May 2017 18:07:31 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>Without --hwmon, port monitoring  requires JACK to read
>		audio into system memory, then  copy it back out to the
>		hardware again, imposing the  basic JACK system latency
>		determined by the --period and --nperiods parameters.

If you are using hdspmixer, then "Without --hwmon" routing the signal
could be done without latency, IOW you do _not_ need to use the
"--hwmon" option. FWIW "zero latency" doesn't mean 100% "zero
latency", it just means that it is "zero latency" for our perception
and even for the perception of an autistic savant. You at least get the
latency caused by the speed of light and delay by a few electronic
components.

There is no software that supports "--hwmon", but seemingly some audio
interfaces allow hardware monitoring, when using this option. If you
are using hdspmixer you don't need it and if you are using a mixing
console, you even don't need hdspmixer to do hardware monitoring.

Regards,
Ralf

--
"Access to all language versions of Wikipedia was blocked in Turkey on
29 April 2017." -