[Jack-Devel] How does --hwmon work?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat May 6 19:15:02 CEST 2017

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Sat, 06 May 2017 17:25:59 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>>Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:
>>>Consider to ask RME why they don't support Linux.
>>
>>RME?  The company that provided all the information needed for writing
>>stable ALSA interfaces for the RME Hammerfall, writing hdspconf, and
>>writing hdspmixer?  I think they've done everything expected from a
>>nice player.  The usefulness of what they have done definitely beats
>>the crap from companies "supporting" Linux like Nvidia, with no
>>information but proprietary drivers that stop working after a number
>>of years.
>>
>>RME hasn't written hdspconf.  They only made it possible.
>
> RME does not support Linux by themselves, so even if they made
> something possible, there is no support.

So what do you call "support" that is available for other operating
systems?

> For my RME card hdspmixer works [1],

Interesting: I would have thought that hdspmixer is mostly confined to
HDSP cards.

> but hdspconf doesn't [2]. That hdspconf doesn't work isn't an issue,
> but just 2 of 8 ADAT channels are available by the jack ports.

Strange.  The HDSP has 8 channels in Jack.  Assuming that with channel
you mean one audio signal rather than one ADAT connector.

So I'd have expected either 8 or 0 supported channels.  2 is a strange
number.  I can't find an "RME AIO" on their web page (either under
current or legacy cards) so I cannot even guess.

> IMO the best bet nowadays is to use USB class compliant audio
> interfaces. When I was jobless at the end of last year, I bought the
> Focusrite. I now have a full-time job for the next 1½ years, so I
> might replace the Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen by an RME USB class
> compliant audio interface. With my old computer, as well as with my
> brand-new computer, I get lower latencies when using the USB
> Focusrite, than when using the RME PCIe card.

Some of the latency is due to digital oversampling filters in A/D&D/A.
Reducing that latency (about 2ms) is not going to improve sound quality.

> I suspect that with a round trip latency of around 6 ms or much lower,
> it's possible to even use software monitoring, since around 5 ms is
> the latency you get, when using one or the other digital guitar stomp
> box, too. 6 ms is the maximum of latency I get for resource hungry
> projects, it's possible to get lower. The used mobo, CPU, RAM and a
> SSD are very cheap [3], it already worked that good, with just half of
> the available RAM. So IMO, if you don't want to use hdspmixer and/or a
> mixing console, consider to use software monitoring. The latency isn't
> that bad anymore, even when using such cheap hardware as I'm using.

I am more concerned with unnecessary full-duplex operation at 96kHz: it
increases the likelihood of xruns.  Also it feels like additional
latency in the analog path for a mere relay of a signal is a bad idea.
Admittedly that argument seems a bit weak when my other way of sound
production runs through serial Midi first.  But the cost for that at
3 bytes per note is just 1ms (more for chords).

> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ hwinfo --cpu|grep Mo|sort -u
>   Model: 6.60.3 "Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz"
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ hwinfo --memory|grep Si
>   Memory Size: 7 GB + 512 MB

Well, my specs are 2.5GHz Penryn and 4GB of memory (extending memory to
8GB with DDR2 SODIMM would be about as expensive as the whole computer
was, and for audio recording it would not appear to make a difference).

Bottlenecks are more likely bus speed (800MHz I think, but with the RAM
connected with 667MHz) than anything else.  And current kernels.

--
David Kastrup