[Jack-Devel] AES67 / SMPTE ST 2110-30

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Oct 3 16:18:33 CEST 2017

On Tue, October 3, 2017 2:19 am, happy musicmaker wrote:
> Bugger, according to this, the I210T1 requires a PCI 2.1 slot. Mine is
> just a 2.0.

PCIe 2.1 was basically an addendum to add additional features, all
compliant PCIe devices are required to be backwards compatible with older
slots. The PCIe version listed on the specification is the highest version
that it can support with full features, not a strict list.
Note also that there seems to be a mistake in the specification, PCIe 2
generation should be 5GT/s not 2.5GT/s.  Possibly the device supports the
register set and software features of PCIe 2.1 but only runs at gen 1.0
speed of 2.5GT/s, but that  would be unusual.

I would check the list at linuxptp.sourceforge.com for recommended
adapters.  The linuxptp project takes advantage of the latest linux kernel
features and does not limit itself to interfaces available in other OS
like ptpd.   I don't know if that provides any performance advantage or
not, linuxptp project claims that using linux specific kernel API is
better than using generic posix API.

This is the list of drivers which support hardware time stamping in the
MAC layer, but you have to look at the details for the card you want to
buy. For example, the tg3 driver supports hardware timestamping on
Broadcom Tigon based cards, but I have a broadcom NIC which does not
support hardware timestamping, only software.

Note that if you have a Windows installation and want to use the ALC
Windows virtual sound card you will need an adapater with an 82574L
controller.

I apologize for the poor formatting, I do not  want to use HTML email for
the mailing list, see the linuxptp web page for an easier to read table
format.

5.3.2 Hardware Timestamping - MAC
Driver 	Hardware 	Version
amd-xgbe 	AMD 10GbE Ethernet Soc 	3.17