[Jack-Devel] zinaddsubfx, jackd and Linux mint no sound

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Wed Oct 4 22:06:01 CEST 2017

On Tue, October 3, 2017 11:23 am, Joe Frey wrote:
> qsynth to work fine. When I start zinaddsubfx(jack) I can make midi
> connections in qjackctl ALSA tab and I see the meters move in
> zinaddsubfx. On the audio tab in qjackctl I do not see zinaddsubfx
> listed and cannot make the audio connections.
> If I start zinaddsubfx(ALSA) I see this program on the qjackctl audio
> tab but not on the ALSA tab in qjackctl and cannot make midi connections.

I believe you have reported your results backwards.
If you start the ALSA version of ZynAddSubFX you will see the MIDI ports
of Zyn show up in the ALSA tab of qjackctl, but no audio ports because you
started the ALSA version.

If you start the JACK version of ZynAddSubFX you will see audio output
ports in the audio tab of qjackctl, and the MIDI ports of Zyn in the MIDI
tab.  There will be no MIDI ports listed in the ALSA tab because you
started the jack version, so only jack MIDI ports will be available.
If you have jackd version 1 family on your system, you do not need to load
anything additional.  If you have jackd version 2 family on your system,
you should make sure to install a2jmidid (ALSA to JACK MIDI daemon) if it
is not already installed, and in your qjackctl Options tab select the
"Execute script after Startup" checkbox and in the command line enter:
/usr/bin/a2jmidid -e &

To make sure the MIDI daemon stops after stopping jackd also check the
"Execute script on Shutdown" checkbox, and in that command line enter:
killall a2jmidid

The a2jmidid daemon will bridge between ALSA MIDI devices and jack MIDI
devices so you can for example connect a hardware MIDI controller to Zyn.

--
Chris Caudle