[Jack-Devel] Jack and thunderbolt

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 7 06:54:52 CET 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 20:56:25 -0600, Chris Caudle wrote:
>The lowest latency would be PCIe connection from your processor to a
>device with analog converters on board.  Many people have reported good
>results from RME devices over the years.

FWIW I get lower latency using an USB Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen,
than using a PCIe RME HDSPe AIO, let alone that Linux can not access
all IOs of the RME HDSPe AIO and that it can not be used with ALSA
directly when using Ardour, this RME card can only be used with jack
when using Ardour. It was this way with my old AMD machine and hasn't
changed for my new Intel machine. Regarding MIDI jitter my best
experiences are with PCI (Envy24, Terratec EWX 24/96) and PCIe (RME
HDSPe AIO), but regarding audio latency USB (Presonus 1818VSL and even
lower when using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen) works best for me.
YMMV! However, hardware monitoring when using Class Compliant USB
devices usually can't be done by the audio device's internal routing, a
mixing console is needed for latency free monitoring, while cards that
need an individual ALSA driver, such as the HDSPe AIO might be able to
use the internal hardware routing (e.g. by hdspmixer).

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-cornflower,,-securityink,-pussytoes}}|cut -d\  -f2
4.19.7.arch1-1