[Jack-Devel] jackd start/stop

liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
Fri Dec 14 09:11:53 CET 2018

I could not find a solution online for such a trivial matter, therefore
my question here.

jackd is not a service as I tried to stop and start it with
service jackd stop/start and it reports no such service

Therefore it seems the only way to stop jackd is with
kill -9 <pid>
That would be fine, but there is no such process jackd when i do ps.

# ps -A |grep -i jack
  2905 ?        00:01:02 jackdbus

There is is only jackdbus which must be something else.

I can see that ardour/mixbus calls jackd with parameters at startup, but
if I manually try to start jackd it says it is already running .... but
it has no PID. So is it a runaway process on my system.

jack disappears often and I have to reboot to get it back, obviously
want to avoid that if I can stop and start it cleanly, or preferably
reset it cleanly erasing all lock files if any exists etc.