[Jack-Devel] Can pulseaudio-module-jack "auto-start" jackd1?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Thu Dec 20 21:07:04 CET 2018

On Wed, December 19, 2018 3:30 am, Jaime T wrote:
> I'm running jackd1 (0.125.0) on debian 9 (stretch) and its
> "auto-starting" facility works perfectly whenever I use jack-play.

I am not positive I remember the details correctly, but I believe the auto
start behavior is a function of the application, not the jackd server.

> now want to use pulseaudio-module-jack, but "pactl load-module
> module-jack-sink channels=2" fails (the command returns "Failure:
> Module initialization failed" and I see "jack_client_open() failed" in
> the journal).

Perhaps pulse expects jackd to be running when the module loads.  You may
have to start jackd manually, or switch to jackd v 2.

> understand how jack-play starts jackd1. Is it dbus magic, or something
> else?)

Something else, jackd v2 has dbus support, jackd v1 does not.  I believe
that applications are supposed to check ~/.jackdrc to determined the
desired default command line for the non-dbus version, I'm not sure how an
application would determine if the dbus version was available.  I guess it
could try starting the dbus version first, and if that did not work look
for a .jackdrc command, and if that was not available start jackd and
accept the default behavior.

--
Chris Caudle