[Jack-Devel] Some observations re Jack and systemd

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sat Dec 22 21:22:34 CET 2018

On 12/22/18 12:54 PM, Christian Affolter wrote:
> Hi Jörn
>
> thanks for sharing this.
>
> Some time ago I've also had to write systemd service units for running a
> headless jackd in combination with "rotter" for a recording solution.
>
> The service file is available at [1] and the documentation at [2] in
> case you're interested. It supports multiple jackd instances (it was
> written as a generic systemd service unit template) and uses the
> "jack_wait" command to wait for jackd to be up and running. It was
> designed to be as generic as possible an let the local administrator
> configure certain settings using systemd service instance overrides (see
> [3] for an example with alsa).

Hey, nice, thanks. You are using a few features I didn't know yet,
looking forward to checking them out. Especially "BindsTo" looks like it
could be very useful (I found it explained in man systemd.units) - looks
like any jack client service should be bound to Jack pretty much
unconditionally unless it would survive the server going away and coming
back somehow.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Tuinbouwstraat 180, 1097 ZB Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net