[Jack-Devel] AVB

liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
Sun Dec 23 01:30:24 CET 2018

On 2018-12-22 15:40, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 12/8/18 2:37 PM, Christoph Kuhr wrote:
>> On the next LAC we want to present a IEEE1722 AVTP Mediaclock Backend.
>
> I would say that for now, if you need to speak AVB, the easiest path
> is to get a recent MOTU USB class-compliant device with an AVB port.
> That way, the Linux system only needs to concern itself with the USB
> audio part, and the routing in the MOTU connects you to the AVB world.
> Thankfully, after being quite useless for open-source for many many
> years, they've now made two good decisions:
> * USB class compliance, and
> * the masterstroke, i.e. implementing the mixer as a web server that
> can be accessed via any browser, thus relieving open-source developers
> of the tedious task of reverse-engineering a mixer that will then only
> work on one particular device.
>
> Christoph, would you agree, or can people who do not frequent the same
> circles of hell as you are so competently doing consider "native" AVB
> yet? I've been lurking, but mostly been very, very afraid :)

That is in fact the exact way I am going after long information
gathering.
Motu is the way to go, separate stage mixer with user config monitoring,
independent from web based <1ms web based mixer, and the USB compliant
io you can use to record with mixbus etc (arrives at your USB interface
on PC at about 1ms latency. I am getting a B16 stagemixer and the
AVB/USB interface. Pricey, but it solves about every problem I had and
then some.
I am selling off my Presonus and Steinberg gear. I really loved
Steinberg, but the outright disregard for Linux that in my opinion
exists at these companies makes it not palatable to own anymore.
Presonus hardware in my opinion are great, but it is severely limited
with little help when you ask to address the limitations which it was
advertised as differently.

Just wish there were a mixbus mixer in one of these stagemixers.

I have gone through all the options and Motu  it is the only one
standing. the responses I got from other manufacturers ranged from the
comical to outright ignorance of what users need.

I have a feeling that AVB/IEEE  will win over the ultranet stuff from
Sony that is now licvensed out to someone handling it. that looks like a
disaster to me. I am not going to invest in an interface that Sony the
inventor did not want to pursue, it means that the profit margin must be
about zero.

We have unfortunaltely a bit of VHS vs Betamax again with AVB vs
Ultranet, but I sure find AVB the better horse to bet on.