[Jack-Devel] Sudden Pulseaudio Faulure reported due to jack

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Dec 28 19:16:27 CET 2018

On Thu, December 27, 2018 5:00 pm, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
> To my knowledge PulseAudio works better with jackdbus over D-Bus
> than with jackd. I'm even surprised it works at all with jackd.

I am not sure if Fedora modifies the pulse configuration from the upstream
defaults, but for quite a few releases now the pulse installed by fedora
will give up access to the ALSA device without complaint when I start
jackd.
I looked in the system config file, and it does have some kind of jackdbus
detection module, but that must only take effect of jackdbus is actually
running, I have never seen it start jackdbus unprompted.
That does leave pulse in the original state, which is with no jack-sink
module loaded, but that is easy enough to load by hand when wanted.

It seems from the configuration file that if jackdbus is already running
when pulse starts that it should detect that and load jack-sink and
jack-source modules.  I'm not sure which configuration starts pulse at
login, so I'm not really confident of the place to modify if for example
you wanted to add a "jack_control start; jack_wait" command in the startup
sequence before pulse was started.

--
Chris Caudle