[Jack-Devel] Why can I only select 512 samples?

lowkeyoutlaw quietizkept at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 20:02:31 CET 2018

I'm using Windows Pro 10 x64, with 8gb ram.

Right on the money! That is indeed the software I use. MPCs were originally
sampling drum machines (in the 80s) but now they've changed it to a hardware
unit (The MPC Studio Silver in my case) that is essentially just a software
controller. It looks like the old ones, it even still has that little LCD
screen and it's essentially identical to operate it from there. Now it
functions as a fairly robust compositional tool. The sequencer is beautiful.
It can control hardware synths, too. A lot of people with MPCs use Reason
acting as a virtual synth rack. It hosts vsts now, it's a big step up from
the old Akai units. Just looking at it makes me want to bang on it. It's a
lot of fun.

The latest MPC update broke its compatiblity (i.e. controlling transport) as
a plugin in Harrison Mixbus, though, so I use it standalone and use Jack to
route the audio to Harrison Mixbus tracks. The only weakness for me in the
MPC Software is it's mixer sucks, you can't even do sidechaining. The MPC
Studio & Studio Black have midi ports but no audio interface. The big ones,
that cost as much as buying a car,
have built in sound. There are even two models with very nice Mic preamps. I
digress.

I should mention that my current setup works ok, but i sure could use the
lower cpu usage that comes with increasing the buffer. Sometimes I have to
make hard choices whe I run out of processor power.

The native Behringer driver causes  Jack PortAudio to crash. I did follow
the Windows instructions on the "Using Jack With Windows" page. It worked
right away. Mixbus is cpu hungry so I /really /want to increase the latency.
The actual driver was hard to come by, and is no longer supported. The
driver on the site is actually ASIO4ALL, which works well, but ties up all
audio system wide. I use an alternative ASIO from Image line/FL Studio
called FL Studio ASIO, of course. It works a bit better than ASIO4ALL. Even
if i use ASIO4ALL i get the same results.
, though.

I'm using the Behringer as my main audio interface. It actually sounds
pretty dang decent. Better than all my other interfaces. If you were close
we could do a blind test.

I'm going to try this again right now while I'm typing.
-First, I opened the Jack Control Panel & set the buffer/latency to 1024 and
then shut it down.
-Second, I opened Jack PortAudio. I don't see any place on it to change any
settings. It's just a command window. I just realised a couple days ago that
this works without The Control Panel running. The patchbay was fiddly
anyway. One can just simply set up the routing grid in Mixbus & it's good to
go. Routing is set per-project, so no need to mess with patchbay profiles.

*Jack PortAudio is currently running, no error messages.
-Third, I'm opening the MPC software. No change. Still stuck on 512 samples.
The "Device Control Panel" /in the MPC Software,/ that is, not the Jack
Audio control panel mentioned earlier, does nothing at all.

-I just shut everythig down. Opening Jack Port Audio again. This time, I'm
opening Harrison Mixbus next.
*NOPE* Now Mixbus won't open.

-Turned off Jack PortAudio, and Mixbus fired right up. Here in mixbus I /do/
have the option to change to 1024 samples, so I did.Opening Mixbus first,
when I tell it to start via the audio & midi settings dialog, it throws the
error: Could not reconnect with audio/midi driver.

-Next, with the audio/midi settings menu still open, I just ran Jack
PortAudio. No errors. Attempting to start Mixbus. Seems to be loading.
*Aaaand, Mixbus crashed. LMAO! Jack Command prompt threw a huge wall of
text. I mean huge.

-Trying again. This time it finished opening up. Set Jack to 1024 samples.
Restarting Mixbus. If Jack isn't running, Mixbus Defaults to Either default
settings Or the settings you used last time you ran MB without Jack Audio,
not really sure. Anyway, I went in Mixbus' audio settings & tell it to Start
Jack. It failed & threw an error. My Dumb**s forgot to read it, it's gone
now.

-With Mixbus' settings still open, and 1024 samples buffer size, I started
Jack PortAudio, then started "audio system" in the MB settings menu. Mixbus
crashed again. Starting Jack PortAudio first again.

-Under Audio Settings in both MPC & Mixbus, the buffer has turned itself
back to 512. Still unmovable in MPC. Still garbled audio with 1024 samples
set in Mixbus. I don't see anywhere else to enter any settings or adjust
latency in Jack PortAudio. Is there a file tucked away somewhere I could
possibly edit? I'm grasping at straws right now.0

-Sorry for the wall of text. Thank you for your help.

--
Sent from: http://jack-audio.10948.n7.nabble.com/Jackit-f3.html