[Jack-Devel] The playback device hw:0 is already in use

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Feb 27 23:37:01 CET 2018

Tim Janes <twjanes at gmail.com> writes:

> I am new to jack and trying to setup Jack2 on Ubuntu 17.10 on a Dell
> laptop 15-5570 that uses a Realtek ALC3246 sound device.
>
> It is basically working ( I am testing it with simple_client and
> latent_client) but I think that I am doing something wrong as the
> first time I use it after booting the laptop  I get the error.
>
> "ATTENTION: The playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop
> the application using it and run JACK again"  followed by lots of
>
> "Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory"
> "Cannot connect to server request channel"
>
> fuser -v /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p shows that it is use by pulseaudio.

Well, tell Pulseaudio to stop hogging the device.  One way is to call
pavucontrol and turn that device's Pulseaudio profile to "Off".  Another
is to configure Pulseaudio to not restart in the first place (create a
.pulse/client.conf file containing

autospawn = no

.  You will then need to start pulseaudio manually using

pulseaudio -D

every time you want to use it.  One audio daemon less competing for
realtime resources is probably not the worst idea, but I don't really
know how much of a problem a dormant Pulseaudio can be.

--
David Kastrup