[Jack-Devel] Using USB sound card with Jack

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Jan 24 12:56:00 CET 2018

Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> writes:

>> of a loop through both soundcards, using e.g. jack_delay.
>>
>> How to measure the delay between two sound cards ?
>> What does the jack_delay measures, the delay between
>> what and what ?
>
> 1. Read available documentation.
> 2. Think.
> 3. If after (1) and (2) some things remain unclear proceed to (4).
> 4. Ask questions on mailing lists.
>
> You have a habit of skipping the first three. That is getting
> on my nerves, and not only on mine.

Well, to be fair it is hard to interpret the results of just trying, and
"available documentation" could be better in many cases.  It's pretty
exhaustive in the case of jack_delay's man page I'll admit (though the
need to differentiate between JACK1 and JACK2 and various behaviors is
really good for a head ache, requiring more of 2. than users might have
readily available, probably hard for an insider to the program to
fathom).

On the LilyPond (batch music typesetter with plain text input language)
user list I often get puzzled at requests of the "can I do this" kind of
questions where one wants to shout "why don't you ask LilyPond?".  Some
people seem more comfortable risking annoying another human rather than
annoying a program.

At least with regard to latencies it is rather tricky to "just try".

--
David Kastrup