[Jack-Devel] How to profile jack cpu load?

Thomas Brand tom at trellis.ch
Mon Jul 16 19:49:16 CEST 2018

On Sun, July 15, 2018 20:13, j at jrigg.co.uk wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 12:52:49PM -0400, Tim wrote:

>>> You need to tell "./waf configure" to install jack over
>>> the existing jack package files. On Debian systems I use --prefix=/usr
>>> --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
>>>

>> I would not recommended that. Always a bad idea.
>> It will interfere with packaging.
>>

> I disagree that it's a bad idea. The whole point is that
> other packages that depend on the distro's jack packages still think those
> are installed. The only thing to watch for is if you update the distro
> jack packages it will overwrite the compiled version, so you'll have to
> re-install that.
>
> I've been using this method for many years without problems.

I've been using that method as well, it works pretty good. Overwriting the
distro package's files also circumvents a lot of package dependency
issues. You could have jack installed from source and the repo jack
package will most likely be pulled in sooner or later as a dependency by
another package anyways.

In a perfect world, there should be no reason that a preferred parallel
installation in /usr/local would not work *for every client* that does not
dlopen from a fixed location or otherwise tamper with the linker
($LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc). It has the advantage of not caring to re-install
the compiled version after updates. Using 'ldd' on binaries to check which
libraries are going to be used is an easy way to predict what will happen.

In any case, checking which libraries are effectively somewhere on the
system is always good advice. 'sudo updatedb && locate libjack' followed
by selective removes and re-installs.

Greetings
Thomas