[Jack-Devel] How to use jackd as a 'system-wide' server?

Joakim Hernberg jhernberg at alchemy.lu
Wed May 9 13:20:34 CEST 2018

I think you'd need to run the jackd server in promiscuous mode.  IIRC
that is broken on jack2, but worked last time I tried it with jack1.

Here is a unit file I wrote a long time ago to run it on archlinux:

cat /etc/systemd/system/jackd.service
[Unit]
Description=Start the JACK server in promiscuous mode

[Service]
Type=simple
Environment="JACK_PROMISCUOUS_SERVER="
UMask=0
ExecStart=/usr/bin/jackd -P80 -p512 -t5000 -dalsa -dhw:DSP -r44100 -p128 -n2 -i18 -o18 -I47 -O48

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Note that you'll have to set the JACK_PROMISCUOUS_SERVER environment
variable in your user login shell too for the client libs to find the
server.

On Wed, 9 May 2018 11:16:21 +0200
Christophe Lohr <christophe.lohr at cegetel.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>   I'm looking for some advices for configuring my system.
>
> I plan to use the Jack plugin for the Asterisk PBX
> https://blog.russellbryant.net/2008/01/13/jack-interfaces-for-asterisk/
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+12+Application_JACK
>
> Since Asterisk is started as a daemon by systemd, I guess that I
> should also start Jackd as a system-wide server, and not within a user
> graphical session.
> In such a case, jackd does not rely on dbus, isn't it?
>
> So, how does jack clients may reach the jackd server?
> Is there some well known entry point, or discovering mechanisms
> (without dbus)?
>
> I'm lost. Any explanations are welcome ;-)
>
> Best regards
> Christophe

   Joakim