[Jack-Devel] Hello, total Jackaudio Newbie

Nathan Reddancer reddancer007 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 22:42:14 CEST 2019

Hello,
 I do not know if this is the correct and appropriate location to post this
question, I was looking for a  Jackaudio forum and this is the first page
that came up. SOooo, here's my delimmna, as a musician and part time geek:
  If I buy an 8 Channel USB Audio interface, will Jackaudio controll/
bypass Alsa, and then allow 8 channel inputs record directly to 8
SIMULTANEOUS tracks of a live band into Traction Waveform or Ardour? Or
does Jackaudio just work as a plugin with extra functions to the Alsa
drivers, and merely allow the DAW software and hardware interface work
together at the same time? I am NOT gonna be programming a midi drumset,
but I am gonna  be recording an actual real live drumset, with bass guitar,
lead  guitar, and a temporary vocal track to record the foundation of each
song for an upcoming album project. THEN my musicians will go back and
punch in any mistakes and dub over them. So, IS Jackaudio capable of
SIMULTANEOUS Channel to Track recording of more than two channel/ tracks?
That is all I need to know before I make my hardware and software purchases
over the next couple of weeks. Thank you for the answers to my questions.
And if this ISN"T the correct forum, please send me a link to the correct
one so I don't trouble the wrong teams that are busy working on pure code
work. Thank you again for your patience. OH and for the record, If/ when
Jackaudio can do this task for us, I'll be bragging on everybody involved
for the rest of my career. thanks again, and have a wonderful week.
Fraternally,
Nathan.