[Jack-Devel] Hello, total Jackaudio Newbie

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Aug 6 23:11:08 CEST 2019

On Tue, August 6, 2019 3:42 pm, Nathan Reddancer wrote:
>   If I buy an 8 Channel USB Audio interface, will Jackaudio controll/
> bypass Alsa, and then allow 8 channel inputs record directly to 8
> SIMULTANEOUS tracks of a live band into Traction Waveform or Ardour?

The jack server uses the ALSA driver for your audio interface, and routes
audio between applications and the driver.

If you do not need to route audio between different applications then you
do not really need jack, you can just let your application connect
directly to the ALSA driver.  That is the current recommendation for
Ardour.

> And if this ISN"T the correct forum, please send me a link to the correct
> one so I don't trouble the wrong teams

Users of jackd use this mailing list, not just the developers, but for
general linux recording questions probably the linux-audio-users list is
the best place.

Chris Caudle