[Jack-Devel] What about the number of buffers?

Tim termtech at rogers.com
Wed Aug 7 21:59:48 CEST 2019

On 8/7/19 10:59 AM, Holger Marzen wrote:
> What is the difference between
>    jackd -n2 -p192
> and
>    jackd -n3 -p128
>
> Both give a total of 384 samples in buffers.
> What's the difference for jackd?
>
> Regards
> Holger

Should not make a difference for clients, they would
  simply see a 384 buffer size in both cases.
Although, I'm not sure 192 is an allowable period size.

Some technical notes from my MusE code, -n appears to
  only affect audio output ports:

For Jack audio:
// For at least the ALSA driver (tested), the input port
//  latency is always 1 period while the output port latency
//  is always n periods (or n-1 periods for Jack1 or Jack2 Sync mode).
// In other words, the Jack command line -n (number of periods)
//  ONLY applies to audio output ports.

For Jack midi:
// For at least the ALSA seq driver (tested), the input port
//  latency is always 1 period while the output port latency
//  is always 2 periods REGARDLESS of Jack command line -n (periods).

Tim.