[Jack-Devel] Would alsa_in reading from SPDIF input inject have pops and crackles into audio?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 8 11:03:09 CEST 2019

On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 04:45:36 -0400, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
wrote:
>On 2019-08-08 03:34, crocket wrote:>
>> Would the following setup cause pops and crackles?
>>
>> 1. Vivaldi web browser, mpv, mplayer, ... --> ALSA dmix
>
>I uninstalled mpv for exactly this reason. Everything would work and
>then after a while pops and crackles starts. When I go to top, I then
>see mpv is at 100% cpu.
>I uninstalled it and the pops went away.
>Might solve your problem or might not. it was a problem here.

Half OT:

Are you aware that you could use mpv with hardware video acceleration?
Around three weeks ago I compared mpv with and without hardware video
acceleration.

When I run 'mpv some.mp4' top showed a CPU usage >20% for mpv with
spikes up to ≈70%. When I run 'mpv --hwdec=vaapi some.mp4' top showed
CPU usage ≈10% for mpv and no mentionable spikes.