[Jack-Devel] Port number limitation

Hannes Helmholz hannes.helmholz at chalmers.se
Mon Aug 19 20:54:04 CEST 2019

I have noticed the JACK server limitation of port numbers in some
specific applications ("Maximum number of output ports is reached for
application ref = 2"). I have noticed the "-p" / "--port-max" parameter
and was able to artificially scale down or up the available number. But,
I seem to have reached and upper limit at around 800. Due to possibly
already existing ports like system input and output I am not certain of
the exact number.

To be fair, the available number is high enough for general use cases
(also for me). But in these certain conditions it definitely limits my
possibilities without an apparent workaround.

Is there a way monitor if the port-max is passed correctly? Or where the
limitation arises otherwise? Or how to possibly circumvent it?

Best,
/Hannes