[Jack-Devel] advice on xruns

Holger Marzen holger at marzen.de
Sun Jul 28 11:59:02 CEST 2019

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 2019-07-28 at 11:19 +0200, Holger Marzen wrote:
> > With audit=0 I can use a buffer size of 12 at 48000 Hz and 2 buffers to
> > Play a mixcloud song with Firefox -> Pulseaudio -> jackd and get no
> > xruns.
>
> So in the meantime you already found the kernel-parameter and the
> detailed information by the kernel docs, that I didn't know :).
>
> You could use ½ of the frames, 12 instead of 24, just by disabling
> audit, too?

That's what happened. Of course this is no scientific examination.

> What kernel are you using?

linux-image-4.16.12-rt5-avl1

on a notebook computer with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700T CPU @ 2.90GHz

and a MOTU Ultralite AVB interface. Since it's class compliant there
shouldn't be any difference to other class compliant interfaces. I
bought the Ultralite AVB because it has enough outputs for several
different mixes and a mixer with equalizer that can be controlled with a
web browser interactively or with curl and a JSON api.

Important:
The latest 333 firmwares are buggy and cause a channel hop. I made a bug
report and the issue was known. I hope it will be fixed in the next
firmware revision.

At the moment firmware 1.3.2+520 ist the way to go for Linuxers.