[Jack-Devel] advice on xruns

Holger Marzen holger at marzen.de
Mon Jul 29 09:14:13 CEST 2019

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019, Ralf Mattes wrote:

> Am Montag, 29. Juli 2019 08:46 CEST, Holger Marzen <holger at marzen.de> schrieb:

> > > I once tested it, before I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen.
> >
> > Note that Focusrite support wrote me that the 3rd gen interfaces are
> > shipped in "Mass Storage Device" (MSD) mode initially. I guess they want
> > to make more customers registering themselves and their Focusrite
> > devices. More data, more good.
>
> Most likely a case of Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately
> explained by stupidity."
>
> They probably use mass storage mode to provide their custom drivers (which are needed for
> performance under Windows).

I don't think so. Those drivers would be outdated soon. I think they
provide fancy "downloaders/installers" that seduces the customers to
register their devices althought that's not needed (and hardly any
Windows user needs the 6478th EQ or compressor). It's probably a
marketing department's "brilliant" idea.

No-one needs installers for Windows systems. The operating system
provides everything. It's always about getting data and control users.

But I think this is no jack topic but more an ALSA topic.