[Jack-Devel] AVB Backend and MIDI question

Ethan Funk ethan at redmountainradio.com
Thu Jun 20 17:48:34 CEST 2019

Very good on the AVB clocking.  I can't get the IEEE pubs legally,
since I have not been an IEEE member, or employed by a company large
enough to be an IEEE member,  since the 1990's.

As a side question regarding Jack2 and midi: I would like to use jack's
midi mechanism to pass control information between components in my
automation system.  So far I have been able to twist existing midi
packets suck as time-code, and such to control player components and
keep my mixer appraised as to source play positions and such.  However,
I have no easy way to pass meta data, such as song tags, through midi,
with out the complexity of using sysex messages and base64 encoding the
8 bit meta-data fto be passed as midi data.  Can I ignore midi's
underlying byte format and just pass 8 bit buffers to jack and expect
jack to deliver the buffers with out jack inspecting the buffers for
validity according to midi?  I only intend to use the midi ports within
my applications various player and encoder components.  I do not expect
any of this data to actually be send to a device or program that is
expecting real midi data.

Ethan...