[Jack-Devel] jack errors with firewire saffire pro 24, help please ?

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Sat Mar 2 22:27:44 CET 2019

On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 09:16:51AM -0700, lunatikos wrote:
> i tried deleteing ./.config/jack/ folder but when i modify config, jack
> shows errors.
>
> so i tried to setup my saffire pro 24 (firewire) , and i got this error :
>

> can you please help me ?

The error message doesn't seem to have made it into your post.  Could you
send it through?  Could you also describe how you are starting jackd and
what options you are using.

With the Saffire Pro 24 there are two ways to get audio into and out of the
device (what I'll call "streaming" here): one is jack-specific and the other
is not.

1. Use FFADO's user-space streaming driver.  This is accessed using jackd's
   "firewire" backend.  If running jackd from the command line you would do
   something like:

     jackd -d firewire -p512 -n3

   You will then be able to use your Saffire in any program which can
   connect to JACK.

   To use this method, you may have to blacklist the alternative
   kernel-based streaming driver, snd-dice.  For testing you can manually
   remove the module:

     rmmod snd-dice

   To make this permanent, add the line

     blacklist snd-dice

   to a file under /etc/modprobe.d/ or your distribution's equivalent.

2. Use the kernel streaming driver.  This comes from the ALSA project and
   relies on the snd-dice kernel driver which should be loaded by default
   on current distributions.  To use this method with jack:

     jackd -d alsa ...

   where "..." are any other options you might need in your situation.  If
   used this way, the saffire will be usable under programs which can use
   JACK.  Being an ALSA driver, your Saffire will also be accessible to
   programs which can use ALSA drivers directly at times when jackd is
   not running.

   Depending on your system setup, your pulseaudio configuration may or may
   not need adjusting so your audio programs can access the saffire in the
   way they need to.

Regards
  jonathan