[Jack-Devel] jack errors with firewire saffire pro 24, help please ?

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Sun Mar 3 04:37:37 CET 2019

On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 04:43:09PM -0700, lunatikos wrote:
> here is the long error message :

> 00:35:58.248 RĂ©initialisation des statistiques.
> :
> Sun Mar  3 00:35:58 2019: ERROR: firewire ERR: Could not prepare streaming
> device!

This log file message indicates that you are using the FFADO streaming
driver, but something prevented it from starting.  One common cause is
having the snd-dice kernel driver loaded when starting FFADO.

For testing, try unloading the snd-dice kernel module as root before trying
to start jackd:

  rmmod snd-dice

After doing this, please try starting jackd again.  If you still have
errors, please:

 * Set the jackd *driver* verbosity level to 6 and capture the output.  I
   recommend you use the following command:

     jackd -dfirewire -p512 -n3 -v6 >& /tmp/jackd.log

 * Post the content of the /tmp/jackd.log file to me.  This will need to be
   off-list since it is likely to be too big for the list.

> i got this for alsa default (worked before i change settings), and for
> firewire.

So I understand from this that you first tried using ALSA and this worked.
Then you tried "firewire" and it did not.  If the snd-dice kernel module is
installed you would be able to use your saffire using the jackd "alsa"
driver.  You would need to know which ALSA device the Saffire was associated
with so you can pass this onto jackd, but it should be possible.

> what is the cause ?

The error when running with jackd's "firewire" driver is possibly due to the
snd-dice kernel driver being loaded.

> how to fix ?

Unload the snd-dice kernel module as described above.

If this fixes the error, you can made the fix permanent by blacklisting the
snd-dice driver as I mentioned in my earlier post.

Regards
  jonathan