[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
Fri Mar 22 19:05:04 CET 2019

Here are some:

I know several people who use the ultralite in studio and on linux and
they have much less trouble. The ultralite is the key to the entire
Motu/Linux path.

You use the Ultralite as your usb interface with everything else
motu/AVB. then from the ultralite by avb to everything Motu has to
offer, stagemixers etc.

If the ultralite works with Linux, then all other functionality through
AVB works if Linux drivers/software is up to the faster rate of the Motu
compared to Presonus.
I have confirmed several times that the ultralite is a way way better
option on Linux from several users actually using it in studio. I take
my advice from actual studio use producing commercial results and listen
to what those people say rather than just heresay.

1)
a) MOTU Can do stage mixing independent from OS, with Web based Mixer. I
dont have to work on buggy Do$e with a usb connection at all.
b) Presonus 1818VSL on Windows crashed several times with me on windows
while recording !

2)
a) Motu No Mixer startup issues reported on Motu browser based mixer.
You connect with a browser and thats it.

b) With 1818VSL, if you start studio one/stagemixer then 1818vsl doesnt
work -period.
Procedure: You have to cycle power on 1818VSL , then go to setup, then
go to 96kHZ, it still doesnt work, then go to 44.1kHz, then it works.
Absolutely blatantly stupid working with it on windows. The Studio
software cannot even initialize its own hardware on windows on several
windows distros I had. How about is that?

3)
Motu: I verified that browser based Motu works at whatever rate you want
as the rate setting and routing is obviously inside the Motu device.
Presonus seemingly is USB and connection dependent and everything
seemingly tries to route over USB to studio one. Thats what it looks
like, giving the consequences I experienced.
On Linux the 1818 VSL can work at most higher rates. Alsa reports 48kHz.
On windows 1818VSL with its own software cannot work at higher rate than
44.1kHz on any distro of windows I tried. - go figure. This has been so
since onset tested over several Windows distros. I can work on Linux at
a higher rate than on windows which I always found curious.

4) OS independent performers level mixes by wifi or network.
Presonus, never to my knowledge even came close attempting this.

5) USB compliance seems to be way better than Presonus. Since you will
be using the Stagemixer through an Ultralite with USB, and several
people confirmed the Ultralite works great with Linux on USB, at least
better than the Presonus 1818VSL, using the stagemixer becomes trivially
the same as issues with the Ultralite.

6) Up to 100ft AVB connection between Stagemixer and Ultralite, then
ultralite USB. Most rugged system we currently can have for Linux.
I couldnt find something remotely similar with presonus that can work
with linux.

7) With 6) I have still the ethernet/Browser mixer on Motu I can use
also, thus redundancy. No such redundancy with the 1818vsl, or any
presonus I dont own that I read up on in my opinion.

8) Way better preamps on Motu in my opinion.

9) I dont care if the effects plugin on the Motu browser mixer sucks.
Anyone who uses plugins live looks for trouble. I use hardware
echo/reverb.
Rugged as hell. All you need is that the preamps are the best it can be
from the mixer and that you can route to external hardware. No problem
with Motu.

10) I use USB for recording only on Linux at the same time I use the
network/browser based mixer for live mixing through ethernet..
I couldnt find this possible with presonus. There is no way with
presonus to run the Studio mixer and have USB connection concurrently to
linux.
Absolutely no contest.

11) From what I find, if users have sudden problems with Motu like
buffer overruns etc they did not have with presonus, it is because you
now suddenly have the ability to do 96kHz on Linux where with the
presonus I could never get to work above 48kHZ. If I could, I would have
had a lot of trouble at 96kHz due to the higher data rate. So the xrun
errors and stuff they report with motu should be put in contect that the
presonus in my opinion doesnt do 96kHZ so there is no comparison of the
level of problems as rates are not equal.

So in short there is no contest.. even close.
If you want to discuss Linux issues with Motu, then it all boils down to
Linux issues with Ultralite as that is your interface to the entire Motu
system and products. As I mentioned I get way more positive feedback
from Motu studio users with Linux compared to Presonus.
Above all I will rather use Motu as I will always be able to work
regardless of Linux issues. There is always another option and
redundancy with Motu.

My experience with 1818vsl on windows is way more troublesome in the
long run than any jack issues I can have.

Most importantly. Motu is always willing to help you get something that
will work with Linux and at least acknowledges Linux. Not so with
Presonus. So why even bother.

AFAIK no contest.