[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Thomas Brand tom at trellis.ch
Sat Mar 23 17:04:18 CET 2019

On Sat, March 23, 2019 09:59, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:
> Thank you, this is helpful I will adapt the script to work for me.

I want to add this: The first thing to do on an arbitrary system is to
start jack with the dummy backend. If that does not work, you can blame
jackd.

If jacks doesn't work with other backends, it's very dependent on how it
does not work. Obviously in these cases, jack has to interact without the
outside world such as a bogus configured system, bogus packaged software,
other audio servers, PEBCAK etc. It's too simple to blame jack for that.

Why is it said that jack is only for expert users? I don't share this view
but the reasoning behind this is that most users won't need to route audio
between applications. There is another aspect to it which is low-latency.
It's not needed for every audio task. If you need low-latency, you really
want no other audio servers being in the way / stack down to the hardware.
Also you don't want to run a low-latency jack just for viewing a few
youtube videos, low-latency stresses the system and is thus not very
battery-friendly on notebooks.

For serious audio, reserve hardware to run just the minimal stuff needed.
To make some analogy, a surgeon doesn't operate on the kitchen table
(under normal circumstances).

Greetings
Thomas