[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
Tue Mar 26 05:58:50 CET 2019

On 2019-03-24 12:33, David Nielson wrote:

> It's just like learning a piece of music: you're going to play it
> wrong a bunch of times in
> a bunch of ways before you play it right.

Software is either deterministic and converge and it is
non-deterministic and either have stable oscillations or divergence.
It seems to me that jack is not deterministic as the manuals which I
studied up as much as I could, does not seem to result =in a
deterministic understanding of jack.
I think the problem is that jack is sort of a stable oscillation, which
makes it basically impossible to write a single manual for. The manuals
are good but in my opinion does not describe jack in a deterministic
way.
Most of the trouble I get is not covered by the manual.

> Don't be afraid to embarrass yourself in #lad either. We're a friendly
> bunch; just be
> polite.

> Documentation is lacking. I offered to help a while ago but the wiki
> was unusable for some
> reason. (Is that still the case?) Maybe I'll start one of my own,
> focusing on specific use
> cases people might encounter. I've probably run into all of them at
> some point...

Jack is MUCH needed software and we dont really have an alternative, so
I remind myself not to beat up on it. If it was an alpha project, I
would be happy to leave it till later, but it is apparently not.
Since you found a solution it would be great if you could document it.
but I understand it is a huge amount of work.

If I can get a repeatable way to
a) Run it
b) add/remove any other sources and targets without compromise
c) Have deterministic behavior
I would sure write up my findings and help the project.

The time it takes just to get jack working starts to equal that of
studying the source code, see where the gremlins lie, fix it, and
probably fork it if changes are resisted.
I have no interest though to start another software development problem.
I have enough of my own in other fields.
The problem just is that Jack is unique and one of the most needed
pieces of Linux software, which sadly isnt made available to the user,
even educated-user in a digestible form.

It is a real pity.