[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
Tue Mar 26 09:02:19 CET 2019

Thank you holger.

The remaining problem I now have is for jack to see the 1818vsl inputs.
It looks to me if mixbus will work if jack can just successfully route
the 1818vsl inputs to mixbus. The inputs is seemingly reported as some
system device inputs in the patchage diagram. Would you mind to take a
look.
We know now that the outputs to the 1818vsl works as it should, but
inputs seems missing.

I start jack now by command line and skip the qjackctl abomination.
I installed patchage and my setup is as follows.
Mixbus runs and is connected properly, and should output sound as its
output is connected to the same output as setbfree which works as clear
from patchage.

The problem with mixbus is the inputs.
I have a known to be working and tested spdif keyboard connection that
mixbus dont see any input for.
It is correctly configured in mixbus, it is just that it now cannot get
any signal from jack.

See the patchage output. Unfortunately patchage doesnt have a horizontal
configuration so text might be blurry as it is all portrait and thus
small.

"http://grossmann-venter.com/issues/jack/patchage_status-01.png"

On 2019-03-26 03:29, Holger Marzen wrote:

> Yep. Jackd has no master volume. I once suggested adding it but no-one
> was interested. There are several workarounds:
>
> - If the audio interface has a software controllable mixer, use
> alsamixer
> - Use jack-mixer and set up jack-plumbing to disconnect every
>   application from system:out and connect it to one of jack-mixer's
>   inputs. Of course it should connect jack-mixer's outputs to
>   system:out.

Ok, I see and get the hang of it rather quickly now.

Just a VERY SERIOUS request.
Insist that any newcomer completely PURGE pulseaudio before they get
help here. It will save everyone a lot of time. Even the taskbar applet
which interfered and I had to uninstall it to get jack to work.
Once jack works then tell them try to get pulse back in a responsible
way.
This should be stressed in bold letters on top of the manual and the
first response to someone asking for help rather to say that pulse can
work but is troublesome.

Pulse wasted months of my time and we can avoid it by just removing it
as it is written in a ramrod way with no regard to other applications,
almost as bad as systemd.