[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Mar 26 09:28:11 CET 2019

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 08:29:15 +0100 (CET), Holger Marzen wrote:
>But you can connect your apps to a mixer like jack-mixer as I
>described above or use alsamixer.

Hi,

I doubt that alsamixer provides a volume control for any class
compliant usb audio interface.

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 02:13:05 -0400, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
wrote:
>Since pulseaudio is now uninstalled.
>
>What do you recommend should replace it in order that I can direct
>browser/system audio to the interface of my choice that will now most
>likely be jack as jack routes the interface.

If jack runs on a "normal" configured system, then only jack has access
to the audio interface. IOW only jack clients can use the audio
interface.

If jack does not run on a "normal" configured system, all software
compiled to work with plain ALSA could use it, but only one app can use
the device at a time.

A system configured with dmix might be able to provide the audio
interface to more than just one app, but I'm not using it.

On my system firefox is build with

ac_add_options --enable-alsa
ac_add_options --enable-jack

alternatively I've got

https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse

installed. Since a while apulse doesn't work anymore, at least not for
me with Firefox. Assuming your distro or you compiled Firefox with
the mentioned options, then it still works with ALSA or jack.

At least Falkon, Pale Moon, Vivaldi, Opera and for audio and video the
best off all Google Chrome can be used with plain ALSA, too.

Regarding bluetooth I already provided the pointer to
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19721#p103800 which
leads to
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01G3J1I5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ,
probably something like this could be ordered somewhere else instead of
Amazon.

Regards,
Ralf

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-pussytoes,-cornflower,,-securityink}}|cut -d\  -f2
5.0.4.arch1-1