[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Mar 26 12:24:40 CET 2019

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 11:45:38 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 10:19:49AM +0000, John Rigg wrote:
>> There's not a lot to write up.
>
>There's a caveat here; I run a very minimalist system.
>
>I install Debian base system from the netinst.iso, turn
>off "Recommends" in apt, replace systemd with sysvinit,
>then install (or compile) required packages individually.
>
>No Gnome or KDE; I use cwm window manager.
>I recompile jack2 to get rid of dbus dependency.
>
>Apart from adding the user to audio group I don't
>have to do any special system configuration with this
>setup; it just works.

Hi,

I've got a similar setup. I'm using Arch Linux with the openbox window
manager and no desktop environment at all. Only wanted services are
enabled.

I've got also Ubuntu with openbox installed, from the server image, but
I unchecked package groups, so the base install was less than a server
install. On Ubuntu there's no need to enable services, but it's needed
to disable unwanted services.

On both installs I've got a few dummy packages installed, to fulfil
hard dependencies that should be optional (recommended, suggested)
dependencies. Most important to me are empty dummy packages, audio
related for pulseaudio and not audio related for gvfs.

Btw. the package management for Arch as well as for Ubuntu provide some
useful features. Arch for example provides the "NoExtract" feature, to
install packages, without some files provided by those packages.

Ubuntu provides the dpkg-divert feature, to install packages, but to
rename files that are installed by those packages. I'm using those
features as well, instead of installing empty dummy packages.
Especially dpkg-divert is useful if you want to use a wrapper scripts.

Apart from that I build several packages myself, too, but I very seldom
need to do this for common audio related packages.

Regards,
Ralf