[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
Tue Mar 26 18:52:16 CET 2019

On 2019-03-26 14:22, John Rigg wrote:

> Yes they can be wrong. If you survey a bunch of uninformed users that's
> what can be expected.

To the 95% that complain's defense, they are just trying to use it for
what it is advertised as and fail.
I understand their frustration.

> The community of pro audio engineers using jackd is quite small.
> You'd find a different opinion if you surveyed those of us who rely on
> it to do our jobs.

I am glad, but then please make jack available for professional users
only.
else you drag us Joe Soaps in all the time to make your life miserable
when they just state things as it is from our perspective.

>> I mean, I just today found that there is almost no way to have a mixer
>> for jack - this is a huge disappointment.
>
> Have you tried jack-mixer? non-mixer? There are probably a few other
> mixers available for jack but those are two off the top of my head.

Thank you this it is helpful, I am connecting it now and will see if it
works once it shows up in patchage. I just want this connected to my
sound device output so that I at least have a software control over the
master out as many devices use it and you need some way to just lower
the volume on everything.
This will do the trick it seems.
I appreciate this, it is the first time you posted something
constructive and it really helped me out.
thanks.

> You seem to have the wrong idea about what jack is for. It's a
> routing and synchronising program. If you want a mixer you need to
> start a jack client program that does that. Complaining that it isn't
> built in is like complaining that a tape recorder won't record
> anything unless you put tape in it.

I rather think it is advertised to the wrong audience.
More like trying to Ram a VCR casette into a tape deck and expecting the
user to be happy with it.

> There are people taking time to try and help you here, but you keep
> making negative (and inaccurate) statements like the one above.

Not always. I say it as it is. Sometimes I am wrong and apologize some
time I am right.... and then ruffle feathers it seems.

> my experience most audio forums on the web are close to useless if
> you want accurate information. You need to ask people who use the
> software to get work done, not those who just like talking trash
> about it on a forum.

Thats why I am here right?
If you  actually read my posts you will realize that that was exactly
what I realized.

The jack developers are good people I have no interest to fight, but
jack is in my opinion not very well presented and if it is targeted only
to the few people actually using it then state it so. Then we will all
know to move on to something else.

I am glad there are five or so people as you say that use it
successfully.
I was hoping to become number 6 so that the 95+ negative statistic could
come down, but apparently not.

I am just trying to make it work thats all.