[Jack-Devel] ?==?utf-8?q? Jack Problems

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Tue Mar 26 20:18:58 CET 2019

Am Dienstag, 26. März 2019 19:59 CET, "Chris Caudle" <chris at chriscaudle.org> schrieb:

> On Tue, March 26, 2019 1:38 pm, Chris Caudle wrote:
> > If Debian is as slow to update pulseaudio as they are
> > to update jackd
>
> From browsing the repository it appears that Debian 9 ships pulseaudio
> version 10, which was released in January 2017.  The current version is
> 12.2 released July 2018.
>
> Debian ships jackd v1 version 0.125, which was the final v1 release.
> Debian ships jackd v2 version 1.10 plus fixes from 2015.  Pretty old, but
> I do not know which fixes went in between 2015 and 1.12.
>
> Probably workable with those versions, but definitely relevant to mention
> that you are running very old versions and not the latest releases.

Jsut to be fair to Debian:  in my humble experience it's trivial to get a rock-solid
audio setup with jackd, pulseaudio and (lib)alsa applications. I running Debian
testing (the rough equvalent of a non-LTS Ubuntu release) without audio problems
since almost 20 years now. While I did use QJackCtl to manage jackd and jackd
connections (never had a problem with it) I'm currently (appr. last 2 years) using
Cadence for the same task. With Cadence (rewuires a dbus-enabled jackd) it's
litterally _two_ moseclicks to enable a pulseaudio<->jackd bridge and another
2 clicks to so the same for libalsa<->jackd. I've used (and use) this settup on
dedicated audio workstations with pro class interfaces (mostly RME), mobile recording
laptops of all kinds (old hardware to highclass hardware to RasberryPi class boxes, using
anything from Arturia AudioFuse to the cheapest usb "soundcards"). Never ever did I
encounter problems with jackd.
Let me take the opportunity to thank the jack developers for this great piece of software.

 Just my 0.2$,

 RalfD