[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Mar 26 23:45:49 CET 2019

On Tue, March 26, 2019 4:42 pm, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> Maybe not, but [per port gain control] makes sense from a
> do-things-quickly-and-non-frustratedly point of view.

That sounds like endless amounts of frustration to me.  It is already bad
enough that some audio interfaces change gain without the change being
obvious, and you have to verify that the input and output levels are what
you expect.  Apparently that very behavior unfairly engendered much
ill-will toward jack by the original poster of this thread.

> If jack had a port_set_gain function, it would take a day
> to script up a general mixing gui that would automatically
> create a mixer with all the volume controls you need.

Or you could connect up non-mixer in 10 minutes.  Not sure what problem
you are attempting to solve here.

And as Robin pointed out it would completely break the design of jackd.

> This would  be a convenient program that most
> people would use now and then,.

I think you are attributing what you think you want to "most" people, but
I do not see any evidence given for that.  It sounds like a terrible idea
to me, and I am sure that "most" of the people who understand how jackd
works and how to take advantage of that would also think it is a terrible
idea.

And I am very sure that "most" of the people who understand how jackd
works and have the ability to modify the design think it is a bad idea, or
someone would have done it already.
The source code is available, if it is such a good idea code up a
prototype and see how it works out.

--
Chris Caudle