[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Mar 27 13:01:37 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 12:35:52PM +0100, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

> Other than that, it's special interest usage, such as what Fons is
> doing, which is great, but the main focus should be on the 2 points
> above.

What I am doing (when just using my home system for general work)
is very simple.

Jack and zita-mu1 are running all the time. Started by a single
click on a desktop menu. Outputs of mu1 go via the sound card
(no gain controls) to amplifier + speakers and/or headphones.
Everything else connects to one of the one of the zita-mu1 inputs.
Input #1 is an audio player (also running all the time, used for
music listening). #2 is used by all ardour sessions. #3 will be
used by e.g. a browser (via ALSA's jack plugin). #4 is free.
Sofware instruments (if used standalone and not as part of
an ardour session) could connect there. If I would use skype,
or anthing else that only works via PA, I would have a PA sink
connected to input #4.

So with a sinlge app, I have metering, volume control and some
extra functions on everything. Can switch between speakers and
headphone with a single click. Zita-mu1 also provides an output
not affected by the volume controls to record whatever I'm
listening to.

That's exactly what you say most normal users need.

--
FA