[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

John Rigg jd at jrigg.co.uk
Wed Mar 27 20:36:03 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 05:54:31PM +0100, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 5:51 PM Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 05:35:04PM +0100, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> >
> > > This should be considered an essential feature expected to be there.
> > > Do you think the windows/pulseaudio/osx peple don't know what they are
> > > doing? Do you think Fons' zita-mu1 program is not an improvement?
> >
> > It is NOT an improvement. It is an application which you can use
> > if and when you need the functionality.
>
> You seem to misunderstand. We were talking about the type of
> functionality that zita-mu1, pavucontrol, etc. provides. Clearly you
> would think zita-mu1 is an improvement, if not you wouldn't have made
> it.

This is sophistry. Having zita-mu1 to use when required is an
improvement over not having it. Adding its functionality to jack
when zita-mu1 (along with other solutions) already exists is not an
improvement, but a redundant increase in complexity.

This is starting to sound like a systemd vs. traditional init argument.
Not everyone wants multiple functions added to software when there's
already a purpose-specific equivalent that works.

John