[Jack-Devel] jackd and volume control

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Mar 27 20:11:28 CET 2019

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 19:22:23 +0100 (CET), Holger Marzen wrote:
>Not every audio adapter has a software controllable hardware mixer,
> e.g. Focusrite Scarlett Solo, 2i2, 2i4. So alsamixer can't do the
> job.

Hi,

for audio I'm using a RME HDSP AIO, IOW I can use hdspmixer for the
hardware routing, as well as for output level control. The ALSA driver
is broken or unfinished, so it's not possible to tap the full potential
of the RME card, however, I've got the possibility to change the output
levels, so I can form an opinion regarding the importance. For audio I'm
also using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen. I don't understand how I
would benefit from output level control provided by jack, when using the
Focusrite. It would be nice, if I could control the hardware routing of
the Focusrite, but even this isn't essential.

On my iPad Pro I'm using AUM and indeed AUM provides volume control,
but AUM is comparable to a host, similar to jack-rack. It's possible to
use apps without AUM, as it's possible to use Linux software without
jack-rack, but then there is no extra volume control available, it's
the same as for Linux. It's a long, long time ago that I used Windows,
but IIRC ASIO didn't provide output level control. For Windows I had
Totalmix for the RME card and some hardware mixer control for an Envy24
card, IOW what is know as hdspmixer and envy24control, resp. mudita24 in
Linux.

Btw. I'm surprised about how less jack ports are supposedly used by
"most" people. I belong to those who use way more tracks and sub-groups
than "most" people seem to use ports.

Regards,
Ralf

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-pussytoes,-securityink,-cornflower,}}|cut -d\  -f2
5.0.4.arch1-1