[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
Wed Mar 27 21:03:00 CET 2019

Holger Marzen wrote:

> I don't know if and how SPDIF-input appears in jackd and if it has to
> be
> routed IN the interface by some magic platform-dependent software.
> I'd test the analog inputs first since they are connected to mixbus.

I sorted everything out, there is nothing that do not work
pulseaudio/jack/bluetooth/all desktop sound and I can now route as i
wish with patchage. Very nice.

I can now focus on spdif.
My keyboard is connected to the 1818 via a direct spdif link. I can use
the easy midi connections but I prefer spdif. Always had great results
with it live.

I know that spdif is always routed to the channels 9&10 on 1818vsl.
Somehow though mixbus sees absolutely no signal on 9&10 and I made sure
that all alsa capture volume settings are maximum. All other inputs are
successfully routed to mixbus and I get a signal.

I am just a bit baffled about why it suddenly does not work. All spdif
sync signals are handled between 1818vsl and the keyboard, so that
cannot be the problem unless alsa for some reason need them, but I
cannot see why. It must be the case as mixbus seemingly have timing
ports. My understanding is that I do not need mtc/ltc for any spdif
signal to at least appear in mixbus as a precondition, neither does
1818vsl seemingly forward the clock through usb. If it is alsa seemingly
do not recognize it.
all I can think of is that there is an alsa error muting channels 9&10.
They are clearly connected correctly by jack.

See attached graphic
http://grossmann-venter.com/issues/jack/routes.png