[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Wed Mar 27 23:47:54 CET 2019

On Wed, March 27, 2019 6:35 am, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> This sounds like something very few people would ever have any use
> for. Jack has two main functions:
>
> 1. Provide a nice realtime API for audio and MIDI so that several
> programs can output sound and MIDI to the hardware at the same time.
> 2. Occasionally send audio from one client to another. For instance
> record everything going to the loudspeakers.

That is backwards of what I would consider the order of priority, so
perhaps that is why there seem to be two sets of people with strong
opinions for or against this proposal.

The original use case for jackd was sending audio from one client to
another, and that is what I would consider the primary use case for jack,
routing audio between applications, such as Hydrogen or LMMS to Ardour, or
patching between hardware input/jack source ports and multiple different
audio inputs such as Ardour tracks when recording.

What you list as the number 1 use I would consider the occasional use
case.  When recording I would typically have the Ardour master bus output
as the only thing connected to the audio interface.  Occasionally if I
wanted to check something from YouTube I would load the pulseaudio jack
modules so that I could connect the desktop applications to the audio
interface.
PulseAudio works fine as a desktop application sound server, so if I am
just using VLC, browser, etc. I let pulse control the audio interface,
when recording or editing audio I start jackd and it assumes control of
the audio hardware.

--
Chris Caudle