[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 21:13:23 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 6:51 PM Felix Homann <linuxaudio at showlabor.de> wrote:

> Am Mi., 27. März 2019 um 17:35 Uhr schrieb Kjetil Matheussen
> <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com>:
> >
> > This should be considered an essential feature expected to be there.
>
> Why? I really do not understand it and personally I never missed that
> feature in ~ 10 years of using Jack with soundcards with and without
> volume controls.
> What are the Jack clients you're using that don't have their own
> volume controls? How would "that feature" help your work flow?

You might not miss it, but it's natural to think people who use jack
for the first time expect it to be there. It's also inconvenient to
visit different programs to adjust the overall volume. It would be
practical to have all in one place.

> Moreover, this very discussion doesn't seem to support your claim that
> "this should be considered an essential feature expected to be there",
> to be honest ;-)

No. Arguments are what's matter, not what your impression of a
discussion might be. (it's an old saying that if you argue, you lose,
but arguments and logic are still what decides what's right or wrong.)

> > Do you think the windows/pulseaudio/osx peple don't know what they are
> > doing?
>
> Hmm, I can't make much sense of this statement as Windows and OS X are
> operating systems, while Jack and Pulseaudio are not. If Pulseaudio
> does what you want then so does Linux. Just not Jack. Then why don't
> you just use Pulseaudio? Maybe because Jack offers something that
> Pulseaudio does not provide?

You are not following the discussion. The sentence you replied to was
about the lack of an overall volume controller program for jack
clients.

> BTW, just out of curiosity, does ASIO provide what you want? IIRC it
> doesn't but I might easily be wrong.
> Does CoreAudio really provide what you're looking for? I'm not sure on
> that either after some quick googling.

Look at pavucontrol.

> I don't consider my projects to be complex in any way. But even a
> simple Ardour session will generate much more than 20 ports as Ardour
> already creates 10 ports for an empty project ;-) Any additional audio
> track will add at least 3 ports, stereo track will generate 4 ports.
> For instance, the really simple project I'm currently working with
> sports 138 Ardour ports, 20 Hydrogen ports and 36 sound card ports.

Still, an extra buffer for each input port still wouldn't make any
difference in memory usage or cpu usage to talk about. Extra memory
usage would be 20*1024 bytes or something like that, and extra CPU
usage would be nil since you don't seem to need this feature.