[Jack-Devel] jackd and volume control

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 21:22:04 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 7:22 PM Holger Marzen <holger at marzen.de> wrote:

> As far as I understood there are 3 opinions:
>
> 1.) Don't change anything
> 2.) Add some API-calls to control the volume of every port
> 3.) Add an API-call to control the volume of system:playback_*
>
> I'd say that 2.) will introduce too much complexity. This is what jack
> clients should do.
>
> But some time ago I proposed 3.)

This is an old discussion. It's about default output ports. Jack
doesn't provide this concept, but it should. If it had, someone would
have made a mixer program by now. Now it's almost impossible to make
such a program. You have to hack it together by monitoring ports, but
it's not nice and probably won't work as well as it should. So that's
the fourth opinion. The lack of default output ports also causes lots
of clients to connect directly to system out, which may cause people
to destroy their monitors.