[Jack-Devel] jackd and volume control

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 21:27:51 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 8:55 PM Filipe Coelho <falktx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27.03.2019 19:22, Holger Marzen wrote:
> > As far as I understood there are 3 opinions:
> >
> > 1.) Don't change anything
> > 2.) Add some API-calls to control the volume of every port
> > 3.) Add an API-call to control the volume of system:playback_*
>
> As the current jack maintainer I can already give you the heads up.
> It is option 1, no such API is going to be added, ever.

So, what do you think is wrong with number 2? It's a simple
modification to jack that might give a lot of benefit. Also, it would
certainly solve problem that it's impossible to create a client mixer
for jack now. Pulsaudio/window/osx has it, it's a very natural tool to
expect. And what are your opinion about functions for providing
default output ports? That would also solve the client mixer problem.