[Jack-Devel] How to tell if server running from API

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Mar 31 03:16:57 CEST 2019

On 3/31/19 3:01 AM, Tim wrote:
> This may have been answered recently but I can't find it.
> Is there a way, via the Jack API or Jack server API,
>  to ask if Jack is already running?

jack_wait(1) is a jack-client to check and wait for existence/exit of
jackd. It periodically tries to jack_client_open() with
JackNoStartServer. It usually comes with jackd.

> I see there is a DBus command for that in jack_control,

yep. `jack_control status`

which effectively does the same as

dbus-send --session --print-reply --dest=org.jackaudio.service
/org/jackaudio/Controller org.jackaudio.JackControl.IsStarted

>  but jack_control crashes for me. Maybe my Python's fault?

no idea.

Cheers!
robin