[Jack-Devel] Plan for new Jack 2 release?

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Mon May 27 23:43:52 CEST 2019

On 27.05.2019 19:45, Thomas Brand wrote:
> On 2019-05-22 21:55, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> before I go and open a ticket in Jack 2's Github issue tracker,
>> requesting a new release, I thought I'd ask whether this is already in
>> the making and ready in the short term?
>>
>> IMHO the metadata support should be made available to Jack 2 users as
>> soon as possible, so developers can rely on it being available with a
>> broader user base.
>>
>> Also, the latest release is now almost 1 1/2 years old.
>>

> Hi Chris,
> a release is due I think everybody knows that however only a few can
> make it happen. Personally I'd love to see a more pro-active project
> lead. It's a constraint given by available time most probably.

You are correct.
I (being the current jack maintainer) am right now in-between jobs, and
then moving to another country.
The beginning of the year had some complications of their own as well...

There were some changes made in jack2 git repo to make development
better (the integration of a develop branch for one).
I will write something about this later on.

Anyway, if you want to see a release coming faster, please help by
testing the new jack meta-data api.
It is the only remaining blocker for this release.
See
https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3Av1.9.13

I do not want to make a release with a new feature, that in the ends
turns out to have a nasty bug or something.
This will end up being shipped in "stable" distributions and be frozen
in there for a very long time...

Hopefully now with both jack1 and jack2 having meta-data, more
developers will make use of it.
For more information about meta-data usage in jack, see
https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/JACK-Metadata-API