[Jack-Devel] virtual Microphone?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Sep 24 19:46:30 CEST 2019

On Mon, September 23, 2019 1:47 pm, Andres Santos wrote:
> The problem is that the device that generates the sound, is not a
> computer,
> it's an esp8266 which is sending only raw values to the server, in the
> server i just Converted it to wav but my script wants the ALSA device

The jackd server is designed for low latency audio transfer between
applications. In most cases virtual servers are not made with low latency
in mind, so probably jackd is not the best solution for your use.
With ESP8266 I assume that the connection is WiFi, which is another source
of variable and high latency. For most cases even WiFi to a dedicated
local machine is not recommended with jackd, if I  understand correctly
you will be generating or collecting data with an ESP8266, sending via
WiFi to some virtual server.  Is the virtual server on the same local
network, or remote and must be accessed over the Internet?

>From the limited information given so far, my impression is that modifying
the python program will be less work than getting jackd to work for this
use case.

--
Chris Caudle