[Jack-Devel] Is there a way to force Jack to use 32-bit audio?

lowkeyoutlaw quietizkept at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 18:16:54 CEST 2019

Cakewalk can record in 16, 24 and 32 bit. Its internal audio processing
engine defaults to 32 bit - a separate setting than recording bit depth -
thus the real-time conversion CPU hit. I read that most modern DAWs process
audio at 32 bit internally nowadays. I know that Cakewalk, Mixbus and Reaper
do - not familiar with any others. Cakewalk does have another audio engine
setting which puts the engine in 64 bit, but I want it all the same if
possible.

My audio interface defaults to 32 bit. I want the interface, engine, and
recording all to be in 32 bit. There is a debate as to whether this is
overkill, but I have the HDD space, and I really dig the fact that it's
impossible to clip 32 bit, basically. What would be a ruined recording in 24
bit, I can just volume automate or compress. It sucks to lose a hot take due
to one loud rouge sound.

I am using the GUI "Jack Control" thingy. It makes routing a breeze. I see
no bit depth option anywhere. I was hoping there was a command-line option.
I'll keep fooling around with it, and if I find a solution, I'll post back
in case someone else has the same issue. More & more interfaces are doing 32
bit. I know the argument that the DACs are only around 24-bit spec usually
but again no CPU hit from real-time conversion.
Thank you for your time!

--
Sent from: http://jack-audio.10948.n7.nabble.com/Jackit-f3.html