[Jackaudio] capture audio input on Mac

Ethan Funk ethan at redmountainradio.com
Sat Apr 25 23:23:09 CEST 2020

Jack has access to audio from application that are built to use jack,
and can get audio from Apple's CoreAudio sources, and send audio to
CoreAudio destinations, like the default system sound default
destination, likely your built-in speaker.  It sounds like you want to
use a destination as a source, which is not what jack was design to
do.  Apple has carefully crafted their OS to prevent you from doing
that, for digital rights management reasons, so the OS doesn't give
jack access to any audio beyond the boundaries of jack itself. It's
like the post office: You can send a letter to me, and someone else can
send a letter to me too.  I get to see both, but you will never know
anything about the other mail I get, unless I share it with you. Apple
doesn't share.
-Ethan