[Jackaudio] Jack shows 22 outputs but only 8 produce a sound output

Sebastian Roth sebastian.roth at hs-offenburg.de
Wed Sep 29 17:23:37 CEST 2021

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this list and also new to Linux.
I am a PhD student working on a research project with hearing impaired people.

For
 our research studies we want to realize different audiological tests
with a virtual acoustic sound system. The program we use for rendering
the virtual acoustics runs in Linux.
In our lab, we have a Fireface
802 sound card from RME. But RME doesn't offer support in Linux and
unfortunately doesn't provide drivers.

run the Fireface in ClassCompliant mode and it is connected via USB to
the computer with Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS as operating system. Basically
 the Fireface works, I can use 8 output channels for my sound playback
via Jack.
But the problem is that I actually want to get playback
from 12 loudspeakers in our loudspeaker circuit. When I start Jack, it
displays 22 output channels, but as I said, only 8 playback channels are
 playing sound.

Could this be caused by the snd_usb_audio driver? Or how can I assign the output channels directly?

About any suggestion for a solution I would be very happy!!!

Best regards,

Sebastian Roth