[Jackaudio] pkg-config not recognizing JACK2 on NixOS

Jeffrey Brown jeffbrown.the at gmail.com
Sun May 15 04:50:14 CEST 2022

Hi,

I'd like to use JACK to send MIDI messages from a Haskell program I
wrote[1] to a DAW. I downloaded the JACK library for Haskell[2]. When I try
to open a REPL to interactively run some of the library's example code,
some requirements fail to build, and `cabal` (a Haskell build tool) reports
that `pkg-config` cannot find the an appropriate version of JACK:

    jeff at jbb-hp17:jack$ cabal repl
    Build profile: -w ghc-9.0.2 -O1
    In order, the following will be built (use -v for more details):
     - jack-0.7.2 (lib) (first run)
    Configuring library for jack-0.7.2..
    cabal: The pkg-config package 'jack' version >=0.118 && <1 || >=1.9.8
&& <2 is
    required but it could not be found.

But my version of JACK is well above 1.9.8 and well below 2:

    jeff at jbb-hp17:jack$ jackd --version
    jackdmp version 1.9.19 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 9

It might matter that I'm running NixOS. I use JACK all the time, via
QJackCtl.

Many thanks,
Jeff

[1] https://github.com/JeffreyBenjaminBrown/montevideo